Friday, May 13, 2011

Redefining Unemployment for those with Aspergers or High Functioning Autism

I recently completed my article on redefining unemployment. Check it out: Redefining Unemployment

The basic idea is that Aspies and HFA folk should take up side projects during their time of not making money at a job. The benefits of this are:

  • Volunteer work is more flexible and can be done from home often
  • It keeps the social interaction chops up
  • References from the work help with the job search
  • Potentially you might find a job via the volunteer work
  • More skills/results on your resume cannot hurt
I even offer some suggestions that can be done from home online such as:

2 comments:

  1. 'Volunteer work is more flexible and can be done from home often...'

    I agree; I'm 49 years old, was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome two years and I'm still looking for my first job - I can't even do voluntary work though because I can't provide references.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a rough place to be in. I have noticed though that the remote/virtual volunteer opportunities on VolunteerMatch.org do not ask for references as long as you are not working with their financial or personal information. Doing a few of those would allow you to get referrals and then go for more traditional volunteer opportunities. I don't think the Project Gutenberg opportunities require references either but I have not explored them as much.

    ReplyDelete